Benchmark Awards $5,000 in Scholarships
June 8, 2017 - Five Southside Virginia high school seniors are receiving $1,000 scholarships each presented by Benchmark Community Bank. The $mart$tart Community Commitment Scholarship recognizes graduating seniors who have demonstrated dedication to service in their communities and schools.
Chosen from an applicant pool of 84, the students will begin studies this fall at schools of their respective choice. The recipients are as follow: Samantha Pearce, South Hill, of Park View High School. Pearce plans to begin work toward a degree in art foundation/fashion design at Virginia Commonwealth University; Brad Davis, Victoria, of Fuqua School, who will be attending Virginia Military Institute pursuing a major in mechanical engineering; Julia Hill, Blackstone, of Nottoway High School, pursuing a degree in biomedical engineering at Virginia Tech; Destiny Clary, Lawrenceville, of Brunswick High School. Clary will begin studies this fall at Virginia Tech with a major in physical therapy; and Bobbi Joe Carwile, Keysville, of Central High School, who begins this fall at The College of William and Mary pursuing a degree in English.
"These students have distinguished themselves through their extraordinary contributions both through extracurricular school activities, as well as in their respective communities," Benchmark President Jay A. Stafford said of the recipients. "They are outstanding products of Southside Virginia. Benchmark is particularly proud to contribute toward their future studies that will help them become even more productive contributors."
The namesake for one of Benchmark’s youth programs, the $mart$tart Scholarship’s primary criteria is a demonstration of service at the extracurricular and community levels. Students with officer or chair service receive additional consideration.
"One of Benchmark’s bedrock principles is investing in the communities we serve," President Jay Stafford explained. "Since the beginning, Benchmark has promoted volunteerism by our employees, financial support of organizations contributing to a better quality of life, and sponsorship of community events. To help young people like these get a quality education and come home to become dynamic members of the community is a privilege for Benchmark and its employees. We wish them all the best for their futures."
Benchmark Community Bank, founded in 1971, is headquartered in Kenbridge, VA. Along with its 12 banking offices located throughout central Southside Virginia, Benchmark operates loan production offices in Wake Forest and Henderson, NC. For the past 10 years, Benchmark has been named one of the Top 200 Community Banks in the nation by American Banker magazine.
Contact: Helen Person, VP/Marketing
434-676-2666 ext. 1103
Back to News & Reports
In this Section
- Benchmark Bankshares, Inc. Declares Increase to Semi-Annual Dividend
- Owens Joins Benchmark Community Bank
- Tyndall Joins Benchmark Community Bank
- Swinson and Williams Join Benchmark Community Bank
- Saunders Joins Benchmark Community Bank
- Benchmark Bankshares, Inc. Reports 3rd Quarter and Year-to-Date Earnings
- Benchmark Promotes Webb and Robinson-White
- Benchmark Bankshares, Inc. Reports Increased Second Quarter and Year-to-Date Earnings
- Benchmark Teams with Virginia State Parks for Routes of Rhythm Concert Series
- Benchmark Named to Top 200 Community Banks
- Benchmark Bankshares, Inc. Declares Semi-Annual Dividend
- Stafford Takes the Helm at Benchmark Community Bank
- Benchmark Awards $5,000 in Scholarships
- Houser Joins Benchmark Community Bank
- Benchmark Promotions Prepare for the Future