Saunders Joins Benchmark Community Bank
October 30, 2017 - Benchmark Community Bank is pleased to announce that Jim Saunders has joined the organization as Vice President/Senior Business Banker. Based out of Benchmark’s Lawrenceville branch location, the Emporia native will be primarily working with businesses in his hometown area to assist them with banking solutions designed to meet the unique needs of their operations.
"Jim has been part of the Southside Virginia business community for over 30 years," said Senior Vice President/Business Banker Steve Creedle. "He brings a wealth of community knowledge and involvement that is a perfect fit for Benchmark’s unique model of business banking."
A 2015 graduate of the Virginia Banking Association School of Bank Management at the University of Virginia, Saunders most recently worked in commercial lending and business development for an area community banking institution. He began his career in banking with Pace American Bank in Lawrenceville before taking the helm of his family’s Emporia business Saunders Gas & Oil, Inc., a position he held until 2001. He re-entered banking in 2005 as Market President for Gateway Bank & Trust in Emporia until 2014.
An active member of his community, Saunders serves as an elected Emporia City Council member for which he previously served as President. He is a member of the Main Street United Methodist Church where he sings in the Adult Choir and is a member of United Methodist Men. He is the current Board Chair for the Family YMCA of Emporia-Greensville and is a member of the Community Youth Center (CYC), Ltd. in Emporia, as well as the Emporia Rotary Club. Additionally, Saunders is the boys’ junior varsity basketball coach for Brunswick Academy.
"Jim is an outstanding addition to our team," said Benchmark President/CEO Jay Stafford in making the announcement. "His longstanding relationships throughout the Emporia area truly underscore Benchmark’s commitment to being part of the communities we serve through personal and institutional involvement, as well as our pledge to invest in the places we call home."
Benchmark Community Bank, founded in 1971, is headquartered in Kenbridge, VA. Along with its twelve banking offices located throughout central Southside Virginia, Benchmark operates loan production offices in Wake Forest and Henderson, NC. The Lawrenceville branch is located at 220 W. Fifth Avenue. Since 2007, Benchmark has been named one of the Top 200 Community Banks in the nation by American Banker magazine. To learn more about Benchmark, please visit www.bcbonline.com or call the Lawrenceville branch at 434-848-6552.
434-676-2666 ext. 1103
Back to News & Reports
In this Section
- Benchmark Bankshares, Inc. Declares Increase to Semi-Annual Dividend
- Owens Joins Benchmark Community Bank
- Tyndall Joins Benchmark Community Bank
- Swinson and Williams Join Benchmark Community Bank
- Saunders Joins Benchmark Community Bank
- Benchmark Bankshares, Inc. Reports 3rd Quarter and Year-to-Date Earnings
- Benchmark Promotes Webb and Robinson-White
- Benchmark Bankshares, Inc. Reports Increased Second Quarter and Year-to-Date Earnings
- Benchmark Teams with Virginia State Parks for Routes of Rhythm Concert Series
- Benchmark Named to Top 200 Community Banks
- Benchmark Bankshares, Inc. Declares Semi-Annual Dividend
- Stafford Takes the Helm at Benchmark Community Bank
- Benchmark Awards $5,000 in Scholarships
- Houser Joins Benchmark Community Bank
- Benchmark Promotions Prepare for the Future