Benchmark $mart$tart Scholarship Application Cycle Open
February 1, 2019 - Benchmark Community Bank is pleased to announce the opening of the application period for its $mart$tart Community Commitment Scholarships. Ten $1,000 scholarships will be awarded to area high school seniors who have demonstrated their commitment to community service through past and present activities in and out of school.
Launched in 2015, the $mart$tart Community Commitment Scholarship program awards high school seniors who meet the following criteria:
- Is a resident of or is a high school senior in one of the counties served by Benchmark’s full-service branches in Virginia (Brunswick, Greensville, Halifax, Lunenburg, Mecklenburg, Nottoway, or Prince Edward Counties) or North Carolina (Franklin, Vance, or Wake); or
- Has a banking relationship with Benchmark; and
- Will be graduating from high school during Spring 2018; and 4. Will be starting college or technical school in Summer or Fall 2019. Each applicant must demonstrate examples of community service provided through high school extracurricular and community organization activity. In addition, applicants must submit an essay not exceeding 500 words and describing the impact of community involvement on their lives.
"Our $mart$tart Community Commitment Scholarships are designed to reward high school seniors who have worked hard to make an impact in their communities," said Benchmark President/CEO Jay Stafford. "These students have learned early that investing their time, energy and dollars into their hometowns will come back to them in the form of improved services, amenities, and community spirit. It is our privilege to serve side-by-side with these dynamic young people."
Students interested in applying for a $mart$tart Community Commitment Scholarship are encouraged to go online to www.bcbonline.com/scholarship where they will find detailed information about program dates, rules, judging, and submission guidelines. Applications are available as online fillable and Word document. Applications are being accepted anytime through March 29, 2019. Applicant acceptance to an accredited school is prerequisite to receiving the award.
A component of Benchmark’s youth programs, the $mart$tart program serves teens ages 13-17 and is the segue from the YES (Youth Excited about Saving) Club for children 5-12. Begun in 2011, the $mart$tart program is designed to help participating youth develop good financial management skills. Among other teen-centered features, $mart$tart checking account holders are eligible for a specially-designed check card. The $mart$tart checking program helps prepare students for the final youth-focused program, the Bridge Account, that supports young adults ages 18-25 who are in college or out on their own for the first time. To learn more about Benchmark’s youth programs, visit your local branch or www.bcbonline.com/youth.
Benchmark Community Bank, founded in 1971, is headquartered in Kenbridge, VA. Along with its 13 banking offices located throughout central Southside Virginia, Benchmark operates branches in Henderson, Wake Forest and Youngsville, NC. Since 2007, Benchmark has been named one of the Top 200 Community Banks in the nation by American Banker magazine. To learn more about Benchmark, please visit www.bcbonline.com.
Contact: Helen Person, VP/Director of Marketing
434-676-2666 ext. 1103
Back to News & Reports
In this Section
- Benchmark Bankshares, Inc. Reports 2nd Quarter Earnings
- Benchmark Bankshares, Inc. Declares Increase to Semi-Annual Dividend
- Benchmark Donates $5,000 to F.A.C.E.S.
- Benchmark Awards $11,000 in Scholarships
- Benchmark Breaks Ground for New Location
- Benchmark Named to Top 200 in U.S.
- Benchmark Bankshares, Inc. Reports 1st Quarter Earnings
- Benchmark Announces Jones, Bailey Promotions
- Gordon joins Benchmark Bankshares, Inc. Board of Directors
- Benchmark $mart$tart Scholarship Application Cycle Open
- Benchmark Bankshares, Inc. Announces Earnings for 2018
- Benchmark Community Bank - Community-Driven Banking