Benchmark Awards Scholarships to Area Students
April 27, 2020 - Ten high school seniors from Southside Virginia and northern North Carolina are receiving $1,000 scholarships each presented by Benchmark Community Bank. The annual $mart$tart Community Commitment Scholarship is named for the bank’s $mart$tart money management program designed for ages 13-17.
Selected from a pool close to 100 applicants for the bank’s $mart$tart Community Commitment Scholarship, area recipients are:
- Dalton Ashworth, Central High School, Lunenburg County, VA
- Madison Hammond, Bunn High School, Franklin County, NC
- Merytt Haney, Franklin Academy, Wake County, NC
- Logan Harrison, Franklin Academy, Wake County, NC
- Hannah Ostrander, Fuqua School, Prince Edward County, VA
- Na’kihya Ragsdale, Central High School, Lunenburg County, VA
- Victoria Rowe, Bluestone High School, Mecklenburg County, VA
- Justin Stimpson, Fuqua School, Prince Edward County, VA
- Hinton Vick, III, Brunswick Academy, Brunswick County, VA
- Katie Wright, Brunswick Academy, Brunswick County, VA
"All of these students distinguished themselves through service with several community organizations, as well as involvement and leadership in multiple extracurricular organizations at their high schools," Benchmark President/CEO Jay A. Stafford said of the recipients. "We need young people like these to further their educations and return to Southside Virginia and northern North Carolina to contribute their skills and talents for the future of our region. It is Benchmark’s privilege to help these students succeed."
"The goal for our $mart$tart savings and money management program is to help young people build solid skills to pave the way to a secure financial future as adults" explained Executive Vice President/Chief Banking Officer LeAnne Emert. "After the program was launched, we began hearing great stories about how students were contributing to their schools and communities. As an organization supporting the communities we serve, we believe these student efforts should be rewarded, so the $mart$tart scholarship program was born."
Benchmark Community Bank, founded in 1971, is headquartered in Kenbridge, VA, and operates 17 locations throughout Southside Virginia and northern North Carolina. Annually since 2007, American Banker magazine has named Benchmark as one of the Top 200 Community Banks out of over 5,000 community banks in the nation. To learn more about Benchmark, please visit www.bcbonline.com.
Contact: Helen Person, VP/Director of Marketing
434-676-2666 ext. 1103
Back to News & Reports
In this Section
- Benchmark Bankshares, Inc. Reports Earnings for Three and Six Months Ended June 30, 2020
- Benchmark Bankshares, Inc. Declares Increase to Semi-Annual Dividend
- Benchmark Named to Top 200 Community Banks
- Benchmark Funds over $40 Million in PPP Loans
- Benchmark Awards Scholarships to Area Students
- Benchmark Bankshares, Inc. Reports 1st Quarter Earnings for 2020
- Williams Joins Benchmark Bankshares Board of Directors
- Benchmark Bankshares, Inc. Announces Earnings for 2019