Open an Account
Guidelines for Opening a Personal Checking Account at Benchmark
Currently, individuals wishing to open an account at Benchmark must come into a branch to do so. Accounts can be opened at any one of the 12 branches.
What to bring with you:
- Identification such as a current driver's license. *(please read below)
- Your Social Security Number.
- An initial deposit.**
- Account selection. The customer service representative (CSR) will help you select the account that is best for you and your lifestyle.
- Check selection. The CSR will help you select a check style. You will also get some temporary checks.
- Service selection. The CSR will explain the various auxiliary service options available to you as a checking account holder, explain how each works, and help you get signed up for those you select. These options include:
- Check (aka debit) card
- Internet Banking
- mobile Banking
- Bill Pay
- Banking by Text
- Banking by Phone
- BCB overview. The CSR will briefly share with you information on other Benchmark services and resources such as FinanceWorks, a free budgeting and tracking tool, the bank's rewards programs, and The Benchmark for Life Financial Answer Center, a library of financial articles, guides, and tools.
- Welcome folder. You will be given a folder with all the information you will need to get started with your account and banking at Benchmark.
- Check-up call. A couple of weeks after opening your account, the CSR will give you a call to make sure you have received your checks and that all services are working well for you. This is a good time to ask any lingering questions or raise any concerns you may have about the account or Benchmark services.
Short on time? You may want to fill out and bring a New Account Request form before coming in!
If you have additional questions about opening an account at Benchmark that you would like answered before coming into the branch, give us a call at 434-676-8444 or email us at email@example.com. We look forward to meeting you!
*About identification and acceptable IDs: To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, U.S. Federal law requires financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person (individuals and businesses) who opens an account. What this means for you: When you open an account, we will ask for certain information and a U.S. driver's license that will allow us to identify you. If you do not have a valid driver's license with a current address, please call the bank for further instruction.
** The minimum opening deposit varies by account. We encourage you to look over the various account options to learn these minimums.
Note: If you are switching your main account and services from another financial institution to Benchmark, we can assist you with the process and make the switch easier! Just let us know the extent to which you would like our help or access our No Sweat Switch Kit.